After receiving an update today to push my Chrome version to 5.0.322.2 dev, I noticed that I could no longer log in to the web site that I had open when the update was done. I happened to be developing a website when I received notification for the update so, like always, I just continued developing and let the new version of Chrome install in the background.

When it was finished, I closed all my browser windows, re-opened Chrome and navigated back to the site I had open that I was working on. Try as I might, I couldn’t seem to get my $_SESSION information working for PHP. This was first noticeable when I tried to log in and it didn’t appear to work correctly. I tried another web site and it worked fine. I tried another browser on my development site and that worked fine too. I decided to go ahead and use the session_id() function and noticed that I was getting a new session ID with every page load.

I finally did some digging around and realized Chrome wasn’t setting any cookies for the domain. I tried other websites and they all worked fine. For some reason, the site I had open when the browser upgraded just wasn’t creating cookies for me.

I checked my configuration settings. I cleared all my personal information. In the “Under the Hood” menu in the Google Chrome options, I set my cookies to “Accept All” and still, no luck. Cookies were working just fine everywhere else except for where I needed to do work.

Frustrated, I decided to click the “Reset to defaults” button and it worked!

So, if you’re having troubles getting Chrome to create cookies for just one domain, try resetting defaults in your “Under the Hood” menu and see if that works for you.

I hope this helps others experiencing this annoying problem.

If you liked this post, then please consider subscribing to my feed.

  • Thank you!

    This is a stupid issue and I assume there will be a fix issued shortly. I am glad that I did not have any custom settings to be concerned about.

  • mag

    i have updated my chrome too.

  • Thanks so much for the tip. Only place I could find it on the web. We must be the only linux/chrome users. Such a simple fix.